Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring Break!

Hey!
I just got back from some much needed relajación in Bilbao and San Sebastián (the north of Spain). It was gorgeous! Meaghan's parents were still in Spain, so they went to Granada, Barcelona, and Valencia together. Leila, Alanna, and myself packed light and took a bus first to Bilbao where we visited the Guggenheim Museum, ate basque pintxos, and surprisingly ate Subway (twice). The Guggenheim was fascinating and at the moment has a war exhibition on the Spanish Civil War and World War two. It also has some really interesting contemporary artists from the 90's such as Jean Michel Basquiat from New York. I was surprised at the amount of American art as well as the amount of Picasso art they had.

 San Sebastian was my absolute favorite place (aside from Madrid) that I have visited. It felt so different from what I have known of Spain. The architecture was far more french-like than I expected. The weather was nice for a few days almost in the 60's on some days, however it rained heavily half the time. We spent most of our time sprawled out on the beach reading and eating picnics. We made friends with our hostel mates and played a few card games before exploring the night-life of San Sebastián (which was actually not much of a party scene). Our hostel was really nice, my favorite I've ever stayed in. It was set up so we stayed in a woman's house that was converted into a hostel, so María, the mother of the house was like a host-Mom.

Over all, it was a very mellow Spring Break. I was so happy I didn't have to rush around trying to catch flights. The buses were long, but we didn't mind because it meant we could sleep or read (both of which we didn't do a lot of in Madrid). I definitely recommend a visit to San Sebastián for anyone visiting or living in Spain!

Adios for now,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment